RCAF Station Burtch
Special thanks to John Bond for providing me with some information on the post war use of this site.
Base / Station: Burtch
Dates of Operation or Period of Information: 8 Aug 41-30 Mar 45
- declared surplus 24 Sept ’45
Unit Duties / Information:
- relief field for Hagersville
- as of the begining of 1941, the aerodrome was assigned as the R2 for No 5 SFTS, Brantford.
- Also used by No 4 Wireless School, Guelph ’41-’44
- No 16 SFTS takes over 5 Oct 1944
- as at Feb 1941:
- No buildings
- No runways
Date / Reason for Closure: 30 Mar 1945, reduced need for aircrew
Post war the site was used by the Government of Ontario to establish the Burtch Correctional Facility. This facility was operated from 1948-2003.
After the facility was closed the entire site was remediated and turned over to the Six Nations of the Grand River to settle outstanding aboriginal land claims.
Current Status: abandoned N43 03 W80 17, condition unknown
Location – Google Map
Related Essays and Articles
- No. 4 Wireless School Flying Squadron (4 WSFS) Finds a New Home By J.S. Bond (2023)
For More information – External Links
- Aerodrome Disposal File:
- Site Plans
- Abandoned Ontario
- News Articles:
- Memo from Robert Leckie 12 Feb 1941 debating the assignment of a training aerodrome for No 4 Wireless School in Guelph.