RCAF Station Fort William
(now Thunder Bay)
Location/Base: Fort William (Thunder Bay)
Years in Use:
- No 2 Elementary Flying Training School
- Formed 24 June 1940
- Operated by:
- Lakehead Air Training School Ltd.
- Thunder Bay Air Training School Ltd.
- Aircraft Flown:
- Tiger Moth
- Disbanded 31 May 1944.
Date/Reason for Closure:
- The Publication On Track…the Pilot’s Air Travel Guide (First Annual Edition – 1978) lists the Aerodrome as “Thunder Bay” – See photos on this page.
On Track – 1978
Location – Google Map
Daily Diary – Links – No. 2 Elementary Flying Training School
The Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum, Brandon, Manitoba has created a transcription of this Daily Diary.
Their web site is AirMuseum.ca
January (Our of order)
This list was compiled from the entries in the Daily diaries of No. 2 Elementary Flying Training School and other sources. The list likely does not include all fatalities of personnel who died while stationed at RCAF Station Fort William, and likely includes some errors. Currently this list contains 8 personnel.
7 November 1940
14 February 1941
6 September 1942
No 2 Elementary Flying Training School
For More information – External Links
- MilitaryBruce.com – Canadian Military History by Bruce Forsyth
- Site Plan:
- Aerodrome Disposal File: