RCAF Station Beausejour
Base / Station: Beausejour
Period(s) of Use: 1952-1986
- 916 Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, ASAF
- No. 48 Radar Squadron
- CFS Beausejour
- Squadron Leader M.B. Anderson
Unit Duties / Information:
The station at Beausejour was completed November 21, 1952 as a joint Canadian-American project in response to the Soviet occupation of Eastern Europe and the Korean War. The station was a component of the Pinetree Line of NORAD. It was responsible for detecting incoming aircraft and missiles into North American airspace.
It was originally manned by 916 Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron which was an American unit. This unit provided tactical training to RCAF Airborne Interceptor Navigators from Winnipeg. Control was assumed by the RCAF through No. 48 Radar Squadron October 1, 1961.
Beausejour’s duties remained much the same as when the station was first opened – being responsible for the detection of aircraft in North American airspace.
Aircraft Flown: N/A
- $180,000,000 (approximate)
- $6,921,900/year (average)
Date / Reason for closure:
The base closed in 1986 due to a combination of budget cuts and, due mainly to the fact that technology had so vastly advanced, the system was outdated.
Current Status: The station was decommissioned January 1, 1986 and closed July 31, 1986 with the property being transferred to the Government of Manitoba in 1987. The facility is now a provincial correctional facility.